(Archive of: http://www.thing-a-day2.com/2008/02/06/day-6-thing-6-motorized-etch-a-sketchr-mechanism/)
Several years ago I took apart an Etch-A-Sketch and took notes on the “complicated pully system” inside. have wanted to build one of these since then. With this and several other projects in mind I bought a small pile of Tamaya pully sets. (this project ate most of 3 of them)
This turned out to be a bit more complicated that I origionally thought. I wanted to use the check reader motor mechanism that I have a pile of them but mounting them turned out to be less than straight forward. once I got through that I had to repully and thread each axis 4 or for times. My first attempt at the pivot point was a small disaster as well. However we persevered and there it is. Tomorrow my thing will probably be a motor driver board to use with this.